Sunday, November 4, 2012

Jack Russell Terrors

From Janie:
 
Friday, November 2.  From Wiggins, Mississippi to Mobile, Alabama
 
The day started with remarkable fog.  Nicole didn't want us separated on the road, and I wasn't comfortable riding in the fog, so Jody put extra lights on his bike and set out down the road.
 

Jody, riding in the fog.

Jody and the cars, in the fog.

Going over the bridge, as the fog lifted.
 
Beautiful Louisiana.
 
 
Nicole, feeding the geese.

Fat, fat geese.
 
Right where we stopped to feed the geese, there was a woman motorist whose car was stalled in the middle of the road.  Jody stopped to offer assistance - and helped her push the car to the side of the road.  When she still couldn't get it started, Nicole and a log truck driver helped her push it off the road.  Nicole offered her a ride to her house, just up the road.
 
Jody and I rode off down the side road, where I was chased - yes, again - by a pair of Jack Russell Terrors.  Most people think they're Terriors, but my cell phone's spell check and I agree.  They are really Jack Russell Terrors.  While they were chasing me - note, again, not Jody! - Jody was whistling at them.  When they stopped chasing me, and Jody caught up (I'm pretty fast when I'm being chased by dogs!), he said, "Did you know you don't have your helmet on?"  No.  No, I did not.  Unbelievable!  I'm chalking it up to fatigue; I was very tired this day.  Total Gumby legs.
 
Those of you who know me well, know I'm a stickler about helmets.  Don't ride without them!  Ever!  And there I was, helmet forgotten.  So I stopped, called for Nicole to bring me my helmet, Jody rode on and I waited in a church parking lot.  While I was waiting, the church caretaker (a man in his 70's) came to water the lawn.  And talk to the Yankee woman waiting in the parking lot.  He's never been out of the South except to go to Mexico (23 times, he said) to he'p build churches.  He told me I was standing in the center of downtown Buzzard Roost, Mississippi.  But that I couldn't get a hat or a shirt because the man who ran the sto' was in the nursin' home, gittin' strong again.  "Oh, no," I said.  "I would have really loved a hat."  Five minutes later, he's writing down my address, promising to send me a hat and a shirt.  If they come, I'll post pictures on the blog.


He wasn't kidding about the name.

A hot day.
Jody drank an entire bottle before lunch.
 
Lunch at the roadside.
That is pomegranate on the paper plate.
 
Looking down the fenceline.
 
Very rural Mississippi.

Rural Louisiana.
The white spots in the foreground are dragonflies.

Nicole, snapping Jody coming over the dam.

They do take their guns seriously in the South.
 
The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue.
     ~Napoleon Bonaparte
 

No comments:

Post a Comment