Sunday, November 11, 2012

From Rod

A guest blog post from Rod:

Janie wrote me today and asked that I write something for the blog site. She said she “wished she would have thought of this before” and so do I. But after some reflection, things like this, a trip across country on a bike are full of great memories written or not. It gave me a chance to reflect, something I’ve been doing a lot lately, (Janie and Jody understand that one.)
It was an honor to help Jody and Janie get across a portion of this great land of ours. A wonderful birthday gift from Janie to Jody and one that couldn’t wait to be started. Excitement for anything is special so always take advantage of it when it comes along. We began at the Denver airport on the Front Range and went east to St Louis. I had only gotten notice of my participation a week prior to me landing in Denver and I am glad I was able to come on board. Along the way we saw some very interesting things and made many observations. Janie and I spent a lot of time in Little Darkness and I spent a bunch of time worrying about the both of them and when they would come around the next corner. It was time well spent.
We started with the majesty of the Front Range in our rearview mirror and on that first day had a wonderful beginning across land comprising some of the true epic ranches of Colorado. When you view our country from just below horse level you can truly appreciate what the first settlers and those to come must have seen. The ribbons of asphalt notwithstanding you can’t help but marvel at what your eyes get to see. You take note of every hill and every cloud formation over and across that hill. You look into the distance for sunrises, for weather, for grain elevators peaking out amongst the trees and for the next town just as we tend to always be looking ahead in life. I personally have had much more joy looking ahead than behind but it also good to reflect as I am doing now.
Our beginning was memorable, many days during the trip and our departure day as well. For me after the Rockies had succumbed to the speed of eastwardly travel I was awestruck by the sheer expanse of field and farms. We grow a lot of food through the middle of this nation whether that is on a stalk or on four hoofs, it is truly amazing. The crop of choice whizzed by on truck after truck and if your only sense was the one of smell you could define what that crop was. We had more senses to deal with and fortunately for most of the trip traffic respected those on two wheels and the seventh or eighth sense, fear, wasn’t much of an issue.
Fear must have played a part on those that travelled west when they were young men. Towards the end of our time together and as the landscaped changed I wondered often if the expanse of plains that were once part of the dustbowl era would have been more widely populated today if it were not for the hardships that would have been experienced by those early settlers. Imagine arriving near Independence Missouri and checking in at the Fort Larned to find out the reality of the hardships you would face. 800 miles and 2 months to complete a journey of epic proportions in a wagon. You had a lot to gain and everything to lose in this decision. Despite the lure of Manifest Destiny many must have questioned the choice. “I wondered, too, if the breezes that swept this high table-land could speak, what tales of snowstorms, of sand storms, of freezing and starving cattle, or perishing men, it would whisper in our ears,” wrote Santa Fe Trail traveler Hezekiah Brake in 1858. I reasoned that the significant population clustering east of Fort Larned clearly told a story. Upon arriving at the Fort many pushed onward but many more turned back east and settled. For me it was explanation of wide open plains turning to wooded clusters and density of people. It can also be a lesson in decision making which I ponder now. Forward or settle?
We departed each other's company in St. Louis, a gateway city of some note. I had a wonderful time sharing time and making memories and I am looking forward to more gateways. Jody handed me a dollar bill as he left me. I learned that Shaliach Mitzvah, a Jewish custom, says to give a coin to the traveler. The reason is for charity and protection because there is extra protection given to someone en route to perform a mitzvah. Since I was now drafted to “pass the buck” to someone during my travels I had much needed extra protection and felt good about it. Although not Jewish I’ve adopted this custom in the names of Jody and Janie, because everyone can use a little protection and everyone should strive to be tzaddik, a righteous person. Thank you, Jody and Janie, for being righteous to me.
Congratulations and Mazel Tov on your trip across the United States. One ending becomes another beginning…..where it will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment