Friday, September 7, 2012

The First Thing We Do . . .

So we are in Iowa City for a couple of days.  Flew from Vegas on Wednesday.  Thursday night was the big celebration of SouthGate's 50th Anniversary.  Thank you so much to our incredible staff - not only did you throw a great party, but you made it possible for Jody and me to take this ride across America.

I'm going to the Iowa/Iowa State game tomorrow with my dear friend Maggie, then back to Vegas on Sunday, where we'll resume the ride.

So, how did I spend the day today?  I would have loved to have spent it writing blog posts about the ride, sharing pictures from the desert, riding the crappy rental bike for a few miles.  I'm 0 for 3.  Raining this morning, and all my rain gear for the bike is in Vegas (where I swear it feels like it never rains!) - I did, however, go to the gym.  Amazing how easy 30 minutes on the elliptical feels after 2 hours on the bike.  Not nearly as much fun, but easier than it used to be.

Here is how I spent my day:

My table at the all day
continuing legal education seminar.
 

 
What you see here: 400 pages of materials on Iowa Real Property Law, postcards from Vegas, and (under the postcards) a book about cycling after age 50.  I have friends, in Iowa City and in Denver, who are lawyers, but none of them were here today.  Being a lawyer has been very good to me over the years.  Today, my body and my brain were in the room.  My heart is back on the road.

The first thing we do, is kill all the lawyers.
     ~Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73.

Shakespeare meant it as a compliment to attorneys and judges who instill justice in society. Or so they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment