Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Smoking Hot Biker Babe

Yesterday (Monday, September 10), we were without additional support, as Nicole didn't arrive until late last night. 

I stopped in town, while Jody rode on the bike path, to take these pictures for my daughter:

In Henderson, NV.
 
 
The Little Darkness, in Henderson, NV.


Tough route from Henderson, NV to Overton, in the Moapa Valley.  58 miles of rollers through more desert, temperatures once again climbing steadily.  Jody rode; I drove.  Red rock and more vegetation than in the Mojave.

The desert between Henderson and the Moapa Valley, NV.

We got into Overton in mid-day, which included mid-day heat in the upper 90's.  Too hot for me to go out, so we decided I'd ride later in the day, around 4:00, hoping for cooler weather.  (One can always dream!) 

At 4:00, we drove twenty miles back out on the route; I was planning to ride back to the hotel.  Here is what The Little Darkness had to say about being back in the desert:

 
The temperature, according to The Little Darkness.

I chose to ride.  I rode a little over eight and a half miles, about 45 minutes.  Rolling hills, with some fun descents.  The cross wind felt great, as it really was that hot.  When I rolled from old asphalt onto fresh blacktop, the temperature on the bike ticked up.  It was like riding into a wall of heat.  I could feel the dark parts of my jersey, hotter than the white.  The tops of my feet felt like they were on fire.  I drank three bottles in those 45 minutes, but it wasn't enough - I just couldn't take on enough fluids.

Smoking hot biker babe.
 
Could I have gone a few more miles?  Yes.  All the way into town?  Maybe . . . maybe not.  But this day I was smarter than I was tough.  This day, I got off the bike, drank another bottle, and chose to call it a day. 

You are your choices.
     ~Seneca (Roman philosopher, mid-first century AD)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment