Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mesquite to St. George

From Jody:

When i looked at today's route, all I could see is its main feature: a ten mile climb.  Oh joy. 

We left Mesquite, NV just before dawn and had to pick our way through the leavings of yesterday's rains under skies that were already beginning to lighten. 

Early morning, rolling out of Mesquite, NV

Red mud/sand everywhere on the streets and roads, with crews out shoveling by hand, plow and bucket trying to bring some semblance of normal roadways back to traffic. 

A couple of turns, a mile or two out of town and we crossed a cattle guard and entered Arizona. Beautiful scenery along the Virgin river.  Questioned the wisdom of a school bus out before 6:30am to take kids miles away from the nearer town in Nevada to a more distant Arizona school just because of political boundary. 

Mile after mile of glorious red rocks above early morning low clouds that seemed trapped by the higher peaks.  Nicole was my biking partner in the early part of the ride as the plan was for Janie to bike after the crest of the climb.  Arizona gave way to Utah and the road changed to rock embedded asphalt.  A solid, sturdy roadway, just a harsher ride. 

Jody and Nicole, rolling down the road.

After a brief stop, Nicole joined Janie in The Little Darkness to take her to the high point and the start of Janie's ride.  I continued the ascent solo.  I flatted again within two miles.  Found a shady spot provided by a rock outcropping.  Four trucks & SUV's pulling trailers were parked nearby.  Each trailer's ramp was down to the ground and I wondered if a group was out on an ATV excursion.  Two elderly ladies asked if I was okay, said they would notify Janie and Nicole of my predicament.

Nicole came back and once again did most of the work in replacing my tube.  This time we used pliers to remove the offending wires.  Teeth remain protected.  Yeah, I know, I'll get the hang of replacing tubes sooner or later, and not pinch the new tube.

The Little Darkness, outside of Mesquite, NV.


Nicole left to check on Janie, and I proceeded up the incline.  I don't know if it was the temperature - a manageable 83 degrees - that I'm in better shape, that I took my time (Tee Shee Yedish, Dai-sha Bud-yish), or maybe it really wasn't a full ten mile climb, but this ascent was not as difficult as I'd built it up to be.  Glad when I saw the false summit, even though I knew I hadn't yet reached the top. When I did crest, I up shifted and kept on going.

Much of the climb and following descent was in the lands of the Paiute tribe's Shivwits band reservation, along the Santa Clara river.  Signs behind barbwire fencing announced no trespassing, no hunting, no parking.  Beautiful, rugged country.  We rode by a small settlement that looked clean, orderly and inviting. 

Jody, on the road to St. George.
Photo by Nicole

Arrival in St. George, Utah was later than anticipated due to my flat and the loss of one hour due to entry into the Mountain Time Zone.  Felt like I could ride another twenty miles to shorten the next route.  (Tomorrow's ride will be longer and features another interesting climb - but that's another entry.....)

I may be a living legend, but that sure don't help when I've got to change a flat tire.
     ~Roy Orbison

1 comment:

  1. Tee Shee Yedish Dai_sha bood_uyesh...

    Jody and Janie, It has truly been a pleasure. You are an inspiring couple and I wish you many great memories during this epic ride. Thinking of you and hoping to rejoin you again.

    Keep on, keepin' on :)
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete