Wednesday, September 19, 2012

In the Buff . . . er, Bluff

From Jody:

Wednesday, September 19, in Bluff, UT:

With Apologies to Click and Clack -

Okay, it's time to get personal and tell you about meeting the Payne-N.-Diaz family.

I first met the youngster of the family on the earliest part of the trip.  I later met the father, and most recently met the mother.

I had my first encounter with the family after a series of long stretches on the bike in the desert in California - Justa (minor) Payne-N.-Diaz.  After getting rained on and sitting around the motel in soggy bike shorts waiting for Janie and Nicole, I greeted the patriarch, Royal Payne-N.-Diaz.  Yesterday walking around in scratchy pants, it was time for the matriarch, Stella Payne-N.-Diaz.

Yes, I'm treating these challenges with goops and ointments and creams, from a variety of sources: Chamois Butt'r from a bike shop in Iowa City; CMP HC/MicoNazole 1:1 CRM thanks to Thomas Boysen, MD, my dermatologist in Coralville, IA; and Desitin from the Safeway grocery store in Page, AZ.

Chafing is no fun.  Writing about it?  Not so bad!


Not only is New York City the nation's melting pot, it is also the casserole, the chafing dish and the charcoal grill.
     ~John Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment