Saturday, September 8, 2012

I'm Doubtful About the Temper of Your Flamingo

 
In the Mojave Desert, September 1, 2012:
 
 
Jody and Janie in the Mojave Desert.
Photo by Peter Doran.
 
 
Cadiz is a ghost town, just off Route 66, in the Mojave.
Cadiz is also our beloved middle daughter.
 
 
The Mojave, late morning.
Miles and miles of names and initials formed out of stone,
line the roadside.
 
 
Flamingos fountain at the truck stop.
 
 
"I dare say you're wondering why I don't put my arm round your waist," said the Duchess, after a pause: "the reason is, that I'm doubtful about the temper of your flamingo. Shall I try the experiment?"
 
"He might bite," Alice cautiously replied, not feeling at all anxious to have the experiment tried.
 
"Very true," said the Duchess: "flamingoes and mustard both bite. And the moral of that is - 'Birds of a feather flock together.'"
 
"Only mustard isn't a bird," Alice remarked.
 
"Right, as usual," said the Duchess. "What a clear way you have of putting things!"
 
"It's a mineral, I think," said Alice.
 
     ~Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment