Monday, October 8, 2012

Rotarians in Missouri

From Janie:
 
Monday, Columbus Day, October 8.  From Harrisonville MO to Sedalia MO:
 
It was certainly an interesting day.  We started thirty miles into the route, as Jody had ridden that far yesterday.  He got out into a sunny and breezy day that was about 40 degrees at 8:37.  Brrrr.  Today, that was just too cold for me. 
 
I rode in The Little Darkness with Rod, while he checked the roads along the route, making sure they were paved.  There was a lot of loose gravel on much of the beginning of the route, but it cleared up.  "Want to get out and ride?" he asked me.  Nope.  I sure didn't.  Still too cold for me, at least today.  So we drove back to wait for Jody to catch up.  We got gas, sat and waited.  I decided that when he caught up to us, I'd have Rod drive me 10 miles down the road and I'd get out and ride. 
 
I nodded off in the car.  I woke up.  Jody didn't pass by.  Finally, we drove back looking for him.  No Jody.  Drove forward, looking.  No Jody.  Drove some more.  Then some more.  Speculating on how we'd missed him.  We both noted the police cars going by with sirens on, but neither said what we were each thinking - hope that's not Jody in a ditch somewhere. 
 
We finally caught up to him about nine miles outside of Sedalia.  Big relief.  We ended up driving into town, where I checked us into the hotel.  Not having ridden a step.  Jody rode up a few minutes later, got into his 'going to Rotary' clothes, and went to a meeting.
 
 
Jody, getting a snack before Rotary.

Jody, ready for Rotary.
 
Jody went to Rotary.  Rod and I went to lunch, after both saying we'd ride later in the day.  When we got back to the hotel, we discovered that my new cycling shoes had arrived!  Yea!  I tried on both pairs, rejected one as very cute but not a good fit.  Jody texted me from Rotary, asking if I wanted a chiropractic appointment with a Rotarian sitting at his table.  Yes.  Yes, I did.
 
Rod put the cleats on my new shoes, Jody got back from Rotary, then took The Little Darkness for an oil change.  I went for a short ride - about 12 miles in about an hour.  Hilly, windy, along a busy road - but good to be out in the warm sunshine.  Here is a picture of my new shoes:

New cycling shoes!
 
The new shoes felt really good.  The chiropractor adjusted my feet and my back.  (Said my feet are healthy and that I should be looking for a massage therapist tonight or in the next town.)  I feel much, much taller.  Maybe all of 5' 0.25"!  As for how my feet will be tomorrow, we'll see.
 
And as for how we missed Jody . . . he followed the route.  We missed a short cut.  He never went by where we were waiting.  But all's well that ends well.  41 quick miles for Jody, then lunch with Rotarians.
  
Of the things we think, say or do:
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build good will and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
     ~The Rotary Four Way Test

No comments:

Post a Comment