Thursday, October 18, 2012

6:06:31 for a Windy Metric Century plus 2.5

From Janie:

Thursday, October 18.  From Cape Girardeau to Marston MO.  [out of order]

The pictures for today's ride are all from Peter Doran.  Why?  Because I rode the entire stage today!  I rode from the hotel.  I rode to the motel.  Well, ok, the first motel.  Which was so uber-creepy (not to mention there was no one there to check us in) that we crossed the highway to the Super 8.  Which is like a Hilton compared to where we didn't stay.

Windy, windy, windy.  A couple of miles directly into a gusting head wind.   The wind was, as Jody said, a bitch.  Jody rode with me all day - circling back at times to pick me up - except when he flatted, then flatted again, right after lunch. 

Jody, giving Janie an encouraging and affectionate hand.

Peter fixed the flats.  I rode on ahead.  And rode some more.  And then some more.  Jody caught me in about an hour.  Then waited while Peter fixed my flat.  We had gotten into a bunch of stickers somewhere. 
 
Janie and Jody, riding in the wind together.

When I started this morning, I thought I could ride 50, which would be a new long for this trip.  When I got to 35, I started thinking I could ride the whole stage.

Janie, on the way to riding a whole stage.

It took me 6:06:31 to ride 64.53 miles in the wind.  My previous longest ride on this trip was about 48 miles.  My previous longest ride ever was a metric century (62 miles).

I'm a very tired, very happy rider.

Lizard Brain was completely quiet today.  Not worried about traffic.  Not worried about whether I could finish the stage.  Not even seriously worried about the few loose dogs we saw.  So here, Lizard Brain, this quote's for you.  Well done!

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
     ~Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment