Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Jeff City

From Janie:
 
Tuesday, Ocober 9, from Sedalia to Jefferson City MO:
 
Sedalia is the home of the Missouri State Fair.  Jefferson City is the capitol.
 
I rode about 48 miles, in two long segments, for about four and a half hours on the bike.  Thought I was going to have 50, but hit a hill coming into Jefferson City that I just couldn't ride up at the end of the day.

Good thing I've got more days and more miles to come.

I'm reading Younger Next Year for Women: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge M.D. M.D. and Gail Sheehy.  It's a real eye opener - and gives me great optimism for the Next Third of my life.  Here's the link to information about it, on Amazon.com:  Younger Next Year For Women.  And here's the link for Younger Next Year (for men).  A big shout out and an equally big thank you to Joe Tonon of Destination Cycling for the recommendation.
 
Jody, of course, rode the entire 68 or so miles of the route, adjusted to account for some of Old Highway 50 being impassable.  He also went to another Rotary meeting, this time in Jefferson City.  This time, I went as his guest.  The speaker was an 19 year old Rotary exchange student, who had just gotten back from a year in Brazil.  The more she talked, the more I wanted to make feijoada, which is a national dish of Brazil.  I have a great vegan recipe:  Vegan Feijoada from Vegetarian Times
 
We'll be home in Iowa City late tomorrow night (Thursday, October 11, 2102), and you can be sure I'll be making feijoada sometime before we leave again on Tuesday morning.  Tired of road food?  Who, me? 

 
 
Missouri State Capitol Building in Jefferson City.
We passed it twice, looking for the Rotary meeting.
 
After the Rotary meeting, we went to a Thai restaurant which one of the Rotarians recommended to us.  And I finally figured it out:  it's not that I don't like the Thai restaurants we've been to, it's that I don't like Thai food.  Good to know!  On the way back to the hotel, we stopped here for ice cream:

Zesto Drive In, ice cream in Jeff City, MO
 
This, in lieu of a quote for the day.  What does it have to do with Jefferson City, MO?  Absolutely nothing.  It was just something that caught my fancy!
 
Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment