Thursday, October 4, 2012

And the Worst of Times Again!

From Jody:

Wednesday, October 3, from Great Bend to McPherson KS:

What a difference a day makes on the road. Yesterday was wonderful, perfect riding weather, decent road (but no shoulder), little traffic, mostly flat to downhill, and favorable slight wind. Lovely parts of rural Kansas where we could see flat farm fields wherever we looked. Some held cattle, most were cropped, with milo (also known as sorghum), hay or wheat chaff stubble.

First rest stop and Rod was kind enough to stash a box of Daylight Donuts to make up for the donuts we missed the day before. And I had three. Two farm dogs came to inspect. One stayed far enough away to not be a bother. The other, a black lab mix, was too friendly and eager for a handout. No luck. Riding past a rancher who was installing fence posts, "Where ya heading?" "Pacific to the Atlantic" and I received a big smile and wave. Saw Horsethief Reservoir, with barely any water in it. Janie was energized by the route as well, and I never caught her until she stopped to wait for me to catch up. You can read more about it on her post below.

We ate lunch at the entrance to the now closed Hanston high school, and marveled at the school's athletic prowess as listed on the sign out front, especIally the 9 - 0 1935 football team ("unscored upon"). I pedaled away after lunch, and Rod drove Janie down the route once again.

A construction delay allowed me to talk to another flagger. It's clear that Kansas flaggers don't have quite the same percs as Colorado flaggers - this one had never been mooned or flashed. From a distance, I saw a small plane dive close to the highway. On closer inspection, it was one of three crop dusters, just practicing low level flight. The crop dusters were just outside the town of Burdett. A plaque in town announced it as the boyhood home of astronomer Clyde Tombaugh, discoverer of Pluto. The route was listed at 100.3 miles - another century - but was just over 100.6 miles by the time I arrived at our night's lodging, due to breaks along the way. I enjoyed the ride so much that I decided to borrow a few miles from the next day's route and go "ad maya v'esreem" - until one hundred and twenty. Janie drove The Little Darkness out the extra twenty miles and brought me back.

Today I was glad the twenty was already in the books. The wind was fierce and diagonal to our route. Not as bad as a headwind, but a struggle none the less. Sixty-six miles, instead of eighty-six, was plenty. And the weatherman promises colder temperatures and windy conditions for tomorrow's eighty three mile bike route. Oh joy.

From Janie, same day:

Another day of nasty cross winds today. I rode 5 early on, then got back in the car.  Two-lane highway with a very narrow shoulder, cars and trucks not playing nice. Cross wind from the south, blowing right to left.  Good for Hebrew, but not good for riding on narrow shoulders.  Made me too nervous - afraid I was going to get blown into traffic. I thought I was done for the day until we crossed into McPherson County - wide shoulders! I jumped out and rode what I thought was the last 15 miles.  Rod told me at dinner it was 19. Very windy, so very hard work, but it's a really good day when 19 miles feels like 15.

Every time I wanted a drink (which was often - riding in the wind is thirsty work), I actually stopped. Too hard to drink while riding in that wind. Last 3 or so miles in town was way more sheltered, so a bit easier.  Two hours total in the saddle. And very happy I got back on the bike. I didn't like getting off scared and getting in the car - and I really didn't want that to be the last thing in my head that night.

More of the day, in pictures:

Jody, on the internet on his phone, looking for a Rotary meeting.

Jody and the big trucks, playing nice.

The courthouse in Lyons KS.
 
We stopped in Lyons KS for a sit-down lunch (I think we were all a little burned out on PBJ from the back of the car).  Lyons, where they have a Lions Club, and yes, the high school mascot is a Lion.  The Lyons Lions.  We asked someone in town where to eat.  She said there was Mexican, Asian and chain.  We opted for Asian, which turned out to be fresh and tasty, one of our better dining experiences.  According to the menu, it was Yummy Yummy Asian Cuisine.  We agreed.  According to the sign outside, however, it was Yammy Yammy.  Can't make this stuff up!

Rod, getting Jody's bike from in front of Yammy Yammy
Asian Cuisine & Grill, where we had yummy, yummy Asian cuisine.

If you're ever in Lyons KS . . .
it's yummy, yummy at Yammy Yammy.

Janie, taking pictures of Jody, from The Little Darkness.
Leaving Lyons, KS; bound for McPherson. 
 
You only need two tools in life:  WD-40 and duct tape.  If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.  If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And, if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

     ~words to live by, from the internet
       (Thanks, Tami, for sharing these!)

No comments:

Post a Comment