Friday, August 24, 2012

On Riding in Denver and Bryce Canyon National Park

From Jody, on riding in Denver and in Bryce Canyon National Park:
 
Prep rides in Denver.  I keep falling down.  I rode the Clear Creek bicycle trail along Speer Blvd in Denver, from Broadway to Confluence Park.  I followed another rider who was zipping along at a quick pace.  He signaled and veered up to the street level exit.  I kept going, but the bike trail ended in a 90 degree turn to steps – or rocks to the creek.  I skidded on the sand covered concrete and laid out the bike.  My first accident of the year in Denver.  I righted the bike, returned to the path and continued my ride for a total of 35 miles.

Another Denver ride along the High Line Canal Trail, about twenty miles on level pea-sized gravel. Not very challenging, but slow going due to the surface.  I had previously stated I’d rather ride my bike on a freeway rather than gravel.  And now I can state I’d rather ride in peagravel than humpa-bumpa or cracked out asphalt.  All rides are relative.

My third Denver area ride, around the Cherry Creek Reservoir (twice) was highlighted by (a) a close up viewing of Bambi’s daddy replete with majestic rack, and (b) observation of two bikers greeting each other at a street/path intersection, with one falling over.  I rode up and commented, “I do that all the time.”  The fallen biker responded with a foolish grin, “Thanks, you made my day.”  It’s not always easy to extricate feet from cleats or clips.  My shins can attest to that.

Our first morning at Bryce Canyon, I anxiously awaited sunrise, at around 6:50 am.  We loaded the car and drove from Tropic, UT to the park.  The bike ride in Bryce Canyon National Park was exhilarating.  The only route for bikes is along the two lane roadway, some 17 miles from the park entrance to the top, with an elevation gain of 1200 feet to 9100 at Rainbow Point.  As I huffed and puffed during one particularly challenging stretch, I told myself there is no place else I’d rather be.  I greeted mule deer, pronghorn antelope and a blue grouse as well as spectacular scenery featuring hoodoos, an arch, and rock windows.  And a few other tourists.  Surprising how much less visited is Bryce Canyon early morning in late August.

No comments:

Post a Comment